"I was quick to be seen in the ..."

About: Lewes Victoria Hospital

I was quick to be seen in the minor injuries unit but was made to feel like a burden as it was nearly closing time for them. It's close to home and should take the strain off of larger A&E's nearby.

What could be improved

After injuring my hand in a football match, I went to Lewes Victoria Minor Injuries to get it checked out.

The nurse who saw me was rude and simply didn't believe what I was saying. I couldn't have an x-ray as the radiographer had gone home, so the nurse simply prodded my hand and said it was just bruised and that there was no need to see a doctor (I doubt there was one there anyway) or travel to another hospital with x-ray open.

So after 2 days of pain, it clearly hadn't got any better, I went back, as it's within walking distance of my home, was then x-rayed and the extent of the injury discovered. I had infact broken multiple bones in my hand.

Despite this I was not referred onto another hospital for immediate treatment but just offered an outpatients appointment in six weeks time. Stupidly I thought that my crumpled hand would heal as I was assured it would but six weeks later I saw a consultant at the Royal Sussex County Hospital who said the bones had begun to knit and unless they rebroke my hand they would continue to heal that way.

I now have permanent lump on the back of my hand and a depressed knuckle. If the nurse had realised the state of my injury when I first went in, 6pm on a saturday, rather than actually diagnosing it or sending me somewhere for it to be diagnosed correctly, I could have been dealt with it there and then and I doubt I would have a painful and mishapen hand.

Anything else?

Thanks Lewes Victoria Hospital! You may as well close the minor injuries as it's good for nothing but issuing plasters.