"Inclusion Thurrock helped me with my depression"

About: Inclusion Thurrock (IAPT) Thurrock Mind

I had been struggling with depression and major anxiety since I could remember however when a horrible event happened to me again I was tipped over the edge and was in the darkest mindset I had ever been in and was scared of what I could do to myself.

However being in this dark mindset I realised what I was doing to myself and those around me and how I needed to get some help before it would be too late. So I reached out to Inclusive Thurrock, and got myself on the waiting list for therapy and in the mean time spoke to my GP for extra support. I only had to wait for a few months before I started my EMDR therapy. I was so apprehensive about starting the therapy because I always thought it wouldn't help me or my mind would let it work, but no matter how much I thought this I was wrong. The process allowed me to work through the root of my issues and open my mind up to why I had so much to live for and experience so much yet in life. The EMDR therapy type yet me to work through the clutter in my head and made me see how much I was holding onto to that I needed to let go of and process. The Inclusive Thurrock staff were very supportive and understanding of what sort of position I was in in my life and helped me get to a positive mindset and feel like a could start life again in a positive way, letting myself open up more to life.

I couldn't be more thankful to inclusive Thurrock for all they did for me, and I would always recommend going for it and contacting them if you are apprehensive or nervous like I was as it changed my life for the better !

Response from Adam Laws, Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner, Inclusion Thurrock IAPT, Inclusion Thurrock 11 months ago
Adam Laws
Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner, Inclusion Thurrock IAPT,
Inclusion Thurrock
Submitted on 09/02/2021 at 10:37

Dear echocd84,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. It sounds like your recent experience was one that was very distressing for you and provoked some really difficult thoughts, as you mentioned this can lead us to worry what we could do to ourselves. It is so important to reach out to services (whether for immediate or more long-term support) in these moments so I am really glad that you were able to do so.

EMDR (Eye movement desensitisation and reprocessing) is a really interesting type of therapy that many are not aware of. It uses eye movement to mimic the processing stage of our sleep cycle and allows us to, as you mention, 'declutter' our mind and process some of the difficult experiences and memories we may be holding onto. It can be very helpful for processing difficult or traumatic experiences as these tend to get 'stuck' in our mind, where we just aren't able to process them properly and this can be extremely distressing.

It sounds like, despite being apprehensive at first, you really gelled with the process and gained a lot from therapy, which is wonderful to hear. You've shared some really kind words about the service being supportive of you and understanding the position you were in at the time, which is something we are very proud of. Particularly for some of the difficult experiences you have mentioned, it is so important that therapy is able to meet you where you are and work with you. Keeping this as one of our core values ensures we are accessible to anyone who needs us, so it is great to hear that this was helpful for you!

I really hope you are able to continue on this journey and embrace the new positive mindset you have described for the future. We wish you all the best!

Kind regards,