"Inpatient stay after elective surgery"

About: Woodend General Hospital / Orthopaedic Rehabilitation

In January I went to Woodend Hospital for surgery for a bunion. Although planned as a day case I wasn’t well enough to be discharged and stayed in until the following evening. During this time I received good care but had a few gripes. Firstly I take a vegetarian and gluten-free diet due to reflux, there were no options for this, cornflakes for breakfast, soup for lunch and a salad for evening meal (all of which I vomited but that’s not the point!) there were no menus to make choices for what I wanted and the nursing staff were not able to tell me the allergens in each dish.

My other gripe is that despite the open visiting, when my husband came to see me at about 8:30 am and he was asked to leave by a nurse as ‘the ladies aren’t dressed’ in fact none of us got dressed all day! Both of us were upset by this, as other patients appeared to have visitors frequently (and loudly) during the day but I did not.

Response from Alison Pirie, Nurse Manager, Orthopaedics & Neuro Sciences, NHS Grampian

Dear Daisy75,

I am glad to hear you received good care in the Woodend after your surgery, it is disappointing that you have had issues with the food choices, menus are available to staff and I have made staff aware of this now. The SCN is going to find out why your husband was turned away as we do try to encourage open visiting on the wards. I am sorry for the upset this has caused you both.

I am happy to discuss this further if you feel necessary.

Kind Regards