"No dignity, no privacy."

About: Warrington Hospital

Anything else?

A farce from start to finish. Arrived at 7.30am on to ward A5 following a phone call to check they had a bed, was left waiting for an hour before being moved to a bed by the nurse and being left again awaiting instructions. A few minutes later the anaesthetist arrived stating that I would be going to theatre very soon and wanted to run through some things with me. Due to other health problems I had already seen an anaesthtist following my pre-op and all of the information required was in my notes. I do understand however that he needs to check things but this could've been done with my privacy in mind rather than with him standing at the end of the bed virtually shouting all the questions for all the world to hear not having bothered to pull the curtain round. Next thing I know is the trolley had arrived to take me down to theatre and the nurse had not even taken my BP/temp etc. She gave me a gown which gaped ridiculously for all to see my bare backside and I had to explain to her that I would not be getting on to the trolley like that and I was eventually provided with a gown to where the other way on to spare my blushes. She was in such a rush because of all the previous wasted time and the trolley being there waiting to take me down to surgery that she forgot to record my BP and stated she would have to do it again.I eventually got down to theatre, convinced I would not be coming out the other side following what I had been told by the anaesthetist! The theatre staff were incredibly professional and nice, put me at my ease and if only all the rest of the staff I encountered were like that then there would not have been any issues.After being taken back up to the ward I was told by th nurse that I was to be on oxygen overnight. A bit later on they wanted me to eat something so brought me a sandwich and a jug of water, because of the procedure I'd had I knew it was essential for me to drink plenty so I started on my water straight away. Three times during the day I asked the nurse should I have my morning tablets yet as when I phoned up they told me just to bring them in with me and not take them. Upon finally being provided with the water I took my morning tablets anyway (about 1pm) as no-one was going to give me a straight answer.The nurse removed my oxygen when she brought me the snadwich to eat and it never went back on. I was left in completely to fend for myself in terms of trying to get out of gown with drip on and put nighty on which I didn't acheive until visiting time when my mum came to help me. My mum went to ask the nurse if she could disconnect the drip so that I might finally be able to go for a wee and she came over and said 'we've been waiting for you to have a wee, you could've just carried the dript with you'. Turned out drip hadn't even been running so good job I'd been drinking plenty! Went home, had awful night heart pounding etc but no-one checked BP, sats or temp before I went.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Warrington Hospital

Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback with us and hope your procedure went well overall. We're sorry to hear you weren't happy with some aspects of your care with us and would be grateful if you could contact us through our PALS service via pals@whh.nhs.uk so we can look at your comments in more detail for you if you'd like us to. Your feedback is very important to us.

  • {{helpful}} of {{total()}} people think this response is helpful

Updates, changes and questions related to this story