"We have visited the hospital on ..."
About: West Middlesex University Hospital West Middlesex University Hospital Isleworth TW7 6AF
Posted by a**n (as ),
What I liked
We have visited the hospital on a number of occassions:
1) 12 year old daughter's tonsillectomy - this went well and all staff very helpful and sensitive to her age etc. Only blip being that she was sent home that day with Calpol 6plus! Given that prior to surgery she had been taking Adult Paracetomol & Ibuprofen at adult dose, this was totally inadequate - ended up back in A& E where she was given much stronger pain relief.
2) Same daughter broke arm in two places, was plastered and again everyone really helpful! Not so the second time we went - had been told to return to A&E if in any discomfort etc. and if plaster was hurting - by end of first week plaster had rubbed hand to point of bleeding - whilst staff did treat they made it clear that they felt that we were wasting their time!
3) Hubby gave birth to kidney stones - very painful but staff were all wonderful!
4) Minor gynae surgery for me this time - all went very well and staff all great!
5) Hubby suffered very severe migraine requiring injection (which he carries), unfortunately unable to self administer as too ill, was taken from work to A&E with injection and 'pen' - staff unable to administer (even with the instruction leaflet) - not because medicine not required but because they didn't know how - ended up having to dispense same medication but in one of their injections which took over 2 hours!
6) Daughter prescribed normal antibiotics by GP to treat tonsillitis (as many times before), unfortunately developed reaction (welts and breathing difficulties), A&E superb, treated, and reassured very quickly!
What could be improved
In some cases staff were a little unhelpful, particularly if we appeared to know about our condition or needs - they seemed to feel threatened by our level of knowledge!
Staff at all levels need to listen to patients more - in the case of my daughter the pain that she experienced was appalling, as an over 12, having been through puberty she needed adult pain relief! She finished with an infection etc. and was quite oporly as a result of being frightened to swallow / eat etc. due to pain!
On the flip side staff are in the main very helpful providing patients treat them with the respect and pleasantness that they have a right to expect!