"Left in pain"

About: Pilgrim Hospital / General surgery

(as the patient),

As a registered nurse working in a different hospital, I had been in pain for a few days before I saw my GP who referred me to the general surgeons for their opinion.

On arrival to ward 5A I was greeted by the sister and shown to an empty bed which had lovely clean bedding on it, I laid on the bed as I was extremely uncomfortable. I took the doctor what seemed like forever to come and prescribe me some pain relief.

I was examined by a number of doctors and the consultant, who told me they were unsure what was wrong but would take me to theatre in the morning to find out what was wrong.

I was still in pain at around 11pm dispite asking a number of times for pain relief, I was told that I couldn't have pain relief at the moment as they were moving me to the day case ward as they had no bed in the hospital. I was taken down dispite being in pain, when I got their the nurse could not give me any pain relief as they haven't took my notes. So again was left in pain.

At around 11am the next day i saw a different set of doctors who examined me again and said that I would be going to theatre for an emergency appendix this afternoon, I was taken down around 30 minutes later.

I arrived back on the ward around 5 hours later, as being a registered nurse, I knew that appendix do not normally take this long so had a number of questions, however my surgeon did not come back to see me, instead I got told my results (which were life changing) by an FY1 (first year doctor) and told I could go home, I still hadn't eaten anything had pain and was vomiting. I refused to leave the ward until I felt better, I heard the doctors and nurses outside of my room taking about me being a difficult patient.

I remained in hospital over night, and was looked after by a bank nurse who was amazing and gave me regular pain relief and anti-sickness.

The next day I was told I could go home at around 10am, at 7pm I was still in the hospital my fiance had got to the hospital at around 12pm. so missed a full day at work for no reason. Dispite being told I would get an outpatient appointment to discuss my operation I am yet to receive this and have had to request a follow up via my GP.

I will never go back to this hospital again and in future will travel a 50 mile round tip to be cared for at a different hospital.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Jennie Negus, Deputy Director of Patient Services, United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

picture of Jennie Negus

Dear Tinkerbell - your story was very hard to read and the care you describe is simply not good enough for a number of reasons - I really need to look into this further - could you contact me directly at patient.involvement@ulh.nhs.uk and give me some more details?

  • {{helpful}} of {{total()}} people think this response is helpful

Updates, changes and questions related to this story