About: Whipps Cross University Hospital / Ophthalmology

(as a relative),

My father, who is in his 80s has watery eyes. His GP wrote three times to Whipps Cross and faxed letters over to get him an appointment. Eventually, after four months an appointment arrived. The appointment was unable to be met as I was away on holiday and I am his prime carer. We then had another three months to wait. Eventually we got to the hospital, only to be told that one of the consultants is running two hours late. My father, having dementia, would never be able to sit that long, so I explained this and was told that as we refused our appointment, we would have to 'start again' which meant going back to GP and getting another referral letter; which is what we did.

Three months later, another appointment arrived. The only good thing I can say is that the whole process only took about an hour. Waiting in two waiting rooms, short eye test and then seeing the consultant. She explained that his lower eyelid had turn in and needed a stitch, a simple procedure.

Another three months past before an appointment was issued. Again, an eye test, more drops and saw another doctor who told us the exact same thing. When I queried this and explained that we were here for the procedure, he said that they had lost all the notes but would be calling him back within the month.

Four months have now elapsed. Out of the blue in April, I received a call from Whipps Cross telling me they had an appointment and could I bring my father within the hour. I explained that I work and that would be impossible. The receptionist said as I had refused the appointment, I would have to wait another 3-4 months. Can this story be true? Oh yes.

When I reiterated all of this story to him, he said he would phone back with an appointment. Sure enough, he did saying that one had been made in June but not to worry as a letter would be sent to me. As of today, I have received nothing. As I explained, I work and have to book time off to take my father anywhere.

It is 8am and I am waiting thirty minutes to telephone the hospital to see, yet again, what is going on.

More about:
Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››

Updates, changes and questions related to this story