"I walked out"

About: Whipps Cross University Hospital

Anything else?

About a month ago I underwent medical management for a missed miscarriage at 13 weeks. It didn't go quite to plan and I needed another procedure, but I went home the next day and my follow up scan seemed clear.

On Tuesday I started having severe abdominal pains. After a few hours of agony my partner insisted I go to A&E. The waiting time wasn't too bad and I was taken to majors and given pain killers pretty quickly. So far so good. I was then transferred to Rowan ward where I spent the night.

The next day with painkillers and antibiotics I was feeling much better. They told me it was likely just a bad infection and the antibiotics would clear it up, but they wanted to scan my uterus and kidneys to make sure it wasn't anything more serious. They told me I would be scanned that day. By 5 pm I had heard nothing so asked the nurses what time my scan would be. I was told it would now be postponed until Wednesday, but would definitely happen then. I spent another night there.

On wednesday I felt absolutely fine and was told I could go home after my scan. Again I waited all day and was told after 5 that it had been postponed again. I burst into tears. On a ward with 5 other people and harsh lighting I had not slept in 2 nights and had hardly eaten a thing. I wanted to go home. I cried to the doctor that I was fed up and she told me that I could be discharged, but would have to be changed to an 'outpatient' and wait a few weeks for a scan, but that my scan would definitely happen on thursday so it was best to wait.

Today I spent the whole morning waiting again for a scan. I was told, definitely by lunch time. Lunch time came and went and I asked to be discharged.

nights spent on the same ward where my baby was removed had left me tired and emotional and I couldn't take any more. I asked the nurse about times to sort out my discharge. Each time I was told 'yes, I'll do that now'. It never came. After 2 more hours of waiting I discovered she'd gone on her lunch break. I walked out.

I should be taking different types of antibiotic, but only have with me. I have no idea if I'll ever be scanned and even if they were to offer me an appointment I wouldn't go back there. It's not just the waiting times, but the lack of communication and respect. I think many of the nurses forget that they are dealing with real people and not just names on a form.

I'm taking my chances and hoping the drugs I did manage to take with me will do the job.

I was supposed to go back to Rowan ward to get help with my recurring miscarriages, but have now lost all faith in them. I will be asking my GP to refer me elsewhere.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››

Updates, changes and questions related to this story