"MRI Scan - Appointment Issues"

About: New Cross Hospital / Neurology Telford referral and quality service (TRAQS)

(as the patient),

After suffering daily headaches for two and a half years and several visits to Doctor at Wellington Medical Practice:

Mid August 2012 - Visit to Dr. It was decided that I should have an MRI scan. I was present when Dr requested the form and after the appropriate questions filled it in.

At the beginning of October, as I had heard nothing, I contacted the Surgery. I was told that no request had been made. Dr phoned me and apologised.

Early October - Letter sent from GP to TRAQS.

Mid October - seen by their GP (not sure what this means, I was told by TRAQS). They phone me and made an appointment at New Cross Hospital for mid November. A letter was sent to me confirming this appointment at Dr Manfredonia's clinic.

Mid November, 3 days before my appointment - I received a letter cancelling this appointment. As I was told in the letter, I contacted Wellington Medical Practice. They said that they could do nothing about it as the information was not in their system. Dr phoned again and apologised.

I was told by TRAQS that the appointment had been cancelled because it should have been with Radiology not Neurology. My notes have been forwarded to X Ray.

In December I contacted TRAQS as I had heard nothing. They investigated and found that New Cross X Ray department has no record of it.

I was told that it should have been with the Community Service but they have no record of it either. They said they would send a 'timeline' of various phone calls, letters etc, but they didn't.

TRAQS said that they would make an appointment with the Community Service, either a cancellation before Christmas or Appointment in the New Year.

Mid January, I contacted TRAQS as I had heard nothing. I was told that they had phoned and written at the beginning of January but with no reply. I had been at home but had received neither.

An appointment was made for Mid February.

I had the scan and was told the results in a phone consultation 5 days later.

My husband and I are both worried and alarmed at the poor service I was given. Patients need to feel confident, especially as they get older, that health concerns will be dealt with efficiently and as swiftly as possible. This was certainly not the case in this instance. A delay of 6 months could have had serious consequences.

Surely there should be something in the system which flagged up an error? Without my frequent investigations I would be waiting still. I heard so many times, "all I can do is apologise". A speedier rectification of the problem would have been more reassuring. We are considering whether we need to get advice from someone who can consider the wider issues and implications that have come to light from my difficulties.

More about:
Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››

Updates, changes and questions related to this story