"problems with A&E admission for atrial fibrillation attack"

About: East Surrey Hospital / Accident and emergency

(as the patient),

I was sent to A &E at East Surrey by my GP at 12:10 following an atrial fibrillation attack. I arrived at A & E at 12:52pm

On entering I was kept for 3/4 hour unsupervised and unmonitored before stats were taken. I was then transferred to A & E where cot sides were used, I believe, illegally and without my consent (Any managers PLEASE TAKE NOTE). After about two hours a lady came and asked me who I was and then told me my name was not on 'her' screen. As I had been sent by the GP I was designated to the medical care team who do not run A & E.

After three and a half hours I asked when the doctors would see me and advised the nurse that I would be discharging myself if things did not improve. Ten minutes before my deadline a doctor appeared and asked me where the pain was. I advised her that I was amazed that she had not even read the GP notes that came with me.

She then looked through the notes but was not aware that my condition is permanent.

I refused to have any more treatment and after leaving it took me 2. 5 hours to get back to Dorking to collect my car.

I have nothing but praise for the nurses attending me.

I believe that NOTHING will come about from this complaint.

More about:
Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Susan Aitkenhead, Chief Nurse, Executive Team, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear badgerboy

I am very sorry that you were so unhappy about your experience of care and would certainly like to investigate your complaint further. Can you please send me details about yourself to enable me to do so?

I can be contacted at susan.aitkenhead@sash.nhs.uk

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards

Susan Aitkenhead

Chief Nurse

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful

Updates, changes and questions related to this story