"Supposed to be day surgery"

About: Ninewells Hospital / General Medicine Ninewells Hospital / General Surgery

(as the patient),

I recently had surgery which was I was only suppose to be in for the day. I arrived at 7. 45am to be taken in and I was not seen until 9am only to find out that the ward I was in did not have any beds therefore had to go find one for myself.

I was taken all around the hospital until they could find me a bed, along the way we had to stop at the surgery theatres to tell them they could not find a bed for me and that they would call them and say where I was.

When finally finding a bed I was in the ward from 9. 30am -3. 15pm until I was finally seen to for my operation. When in recovery they decided to keep me in as I was in a lot of pain. I was in the recovery room for 2 and a half hours then sent back to the ward I was in the for the day.

As the ward was closing soon they had to find me a bed. Eventually 5 minutes before the ward closed they found me a bed in a ward at the other end of the hospital yet again.

Eventually I was lucky to be given a private suite at 8. 30pm. I still hadn't eaten anything in around 24 hours as you're nil by mouth.

My mother was coming to visit me and as I had surgery late she had missed the visiting hours but they were allowing her to see me. When she phoned the original ward I turned up at they told her I wasn't there and had been moved but they weren't sure where I had been moved to. Therefore my mum phoned the main reception who had phoned 5 other wards looking for me until eventually they found me. My mother arrived and I was finally given something to eat.

Throughout the night the nurse explained to me if I'm in any discomfort to call the nurse, which I had done but no nurses arrived. When my bp was taken I mentioned to the nurse then I was in pain and didn't receive any help. Around 7am I mentioned to the nurse I was in pain and was told I would get some pain relief. 8. 30 came, two calls to the nurses and a nurse eventually came, to tell me I had to be moved from a private suite to a ward because there wasn't enough beds left.

At 9. 30am the same nurse appeared and said they heard I wanted some pain relief. I replied yes at 7am, to which I was told there's a handover period so the nurse may have not told anyone.

Throughout the rest of the day I was in pain and was telling the nurses, they kept telling me they would be back soon, which they never did.

I eventually found out from all the bed and ward shifting they lost my folder with all my details in it and as I am allergic to a certain medication they could not give me anything. I eventually got out at that night and was in a lot of pain but as there was no beds for me I was discharged.

By the weekend the nurses at my practice tried to get me a bed back in hospital because they thought I shouldn't be in that much pain, but guess again, there wasn't any beds left!

I found Ninewells ridiculous when I went and I'm hoping I will never have to go back.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Tracey Passway, Clinical Governance and Risk Team Leader, Clinical Governance and Risk, NHS Tayside

NHS Tayside is very sorry to hear about your experiences.

Please could I ask you to contact our Complaints and Feedback Team who will put you in direct contact with the Service Manager to resolve your concerns.

E-mail: complaints.tayside@nhs.net

Freephone number: 0800 0275507

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful