"Trouble getting and keeping an appointment at Tameside"

About: Tameside and Glossop PCT Tameside General Hospital / Breast surgery Tameside General Hospital / General surgery

Back in October 2007, I found a lump in my breast and another in my armpit. Having already had a lump removed after biopsy a few yrs earlier tried to make an appointment at my GP, this took over 2wks. I advised the Dr about everything and she examined me, and stated that due to my history and my age etc that I should be seen by the breast clinic at the hospital. She advised it could take up to 3 months for my actual appointment. Christmas came and went, and so come the end of January and with postal strikes in my area at the time and Christmas post etc I popped into my GP's to ask them to ask the doctor to chase my appointment, as I didn’t want to have missed it with it all taking so long. A few days later, I received a telephone call asking me to come in to see the GP. I thought I must have missed the appointment, but no, my GP had forgotten to make the referral and hadn’t even bothered to write anything in my notes. This time I sat and watched the Dr input my notes and request the referral. She said, due to me waiting so long already, I was to be seen as a matter of urgency. A few weeks later, I received an appointment for the end of march, the day before my appointment I received another letter stating that appointment had to be changed and I was now to be seen early June. About 5days ago, I arrived back from holiday to find another letter behind the door; my appointment has been changed again to the middle of July! I am getting very worried and am wondering why Tameside hospital keeps on putting my life at risk like this.

Response from Philip Dylak, Director of Nursing, Tameside Hospital Foundation Trust

Thank you for raising these issues. I was very concerned to read about your experiences, which do not reflect the standard of service we usually provide. So that I can respond appropriately to your concerns, and to help me to find out what changes need to be made in the hospital to avoid repetition in the future, I would be very grateful if you could contact me urgently.

I look forward to hearing from you.