"nurse in charge completely ignored me"

About: King's Mill Hospital

Anything else?

I underwent laproscopic surgery as a day case in January in the afternoon and because it took them 2hours + to treat my endometriosis, I was in great pain in the recovery room leading to me being given a very strong dose of morphine and I was then transferred to ward 14 in one of the side rooms which was brilliant and very clean. The staff in the day case ward were brilliant and caring and so was the nurse who sat with me till I recovered. She then did a hand over to a nurse on night duty. Both this nurse and another who looked after me all night were exceptionally good and caring. Then came morning and they were gone. I was still very weak and sick from the anasthesia and morphine and couldn't move. I left the hospital at 2 pm and until then I was told by all the nurses I buzzed that a different named nurse was the one looking after me. No one came all morning except the very lovely catering lady to offer me food and drink from time to time.

I was not even given a jug of water until I asked for one. Every time I asked for water one of the nurses would bring me half a cup with a very grudging look on their face. I understand that I was a day case and as such should ideally have gone home immediately after surgery but believe me after such cold treatment I wanted to go as fast as I could and would have if I felt physically able to and if the surgeon had come to speak to me any sooner. It was 12 pm when he came to tell me what was found during surgery as he had been in clinic all morning. Up until then I had been sick thrice. I also asked for painkillers as the last one had been given to me at 4 am. I also asked for antisickness shot as I was keeping nothing down. I waited for hours and no one came. I dragged myself out and asked when the meds were coming. One of the nurses told me my nurse was doing the rounds and she will come to me. I waited for 2 more hours after which I went out again and this time was introduced to the wonderful nurse who was sat in the office talking. I realized I had spoken to her before in the morning when I asked for something else and had found her again in the office talking away. This time I was told that a different nurse was doing the medicine round and I would have to wait again. My husband had arrived and he was constantly fobbed of as well.

I felt very very neglected and insulted and ignored and combined with my pain and sickness and dizziness, I was not in a good place. I packed my bags and was ready to leave with my husband who was also furious. The nurse came around when I was leaving. She was very kind and very surprised that I was still there as she had been told that I was gone. She gave me my antisickness shot and checked my bandages and gave me some after care advice. I left the hospital thanking her. She was apologetic saying that they were extremely busy but how come I found one of them talking and laughing in her office every time I walked past it?

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from King's Mill Hospital

We are sorry that you were unhappy with your recent admission and would be happy to discuss this further with you. Please contact our Patient Advice team if you would like to talk through your concerns. Their telephone number is 01623 672222 and the team are available from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful