"Absolutely not good, felt very uncared for like a..."

About: Warrington Hospital

What I liked

The way out

What could be improved

I came in for an angioplasty Monday night 12th Nov. I did not have anything to eat as I was told they may do tests. At around 7 pm after sitting in the waiting room, I was given a bed. The meals had been round by then I had no food, I had brought a bottle of sparkling water and asked for a glass 6 times. I drank it out of the bottle in the end never did get a glass whole stay. The only food that was available was from the staff canteen a 5 bar kit-kat at 90 pence. I filled in the meals sheet for the following day. On the Tuesday late mid afternoon I had my procedure, I had been on nil by mouth previously. I was returned to the ward, having had a previous angioplasty on my other leg, I new about lying still for 4 hours. When I was back on my bed I was lay with the top blankets folded back and just the operating gown on. I asked one of the assistants if I could have a bottle to have a pee. The surgeon had been pressing on that area, after 4 requests and half an hour The curtains were drawn and I was given my bottle. Relief. As I could not rise or put the bottle on the floor I placed it on my news paper on the meal trolley by my bed, after 20+ minutes a head popped round, and asked had I finished. I explained that the bottle on the table was full and apologised for not being able to put it on the floor , the curtains were drawn back and I was told by the assistant " I will move it later. a little later eyes shut thinking of nothing I heard a voice, then I was soaking from my hair to my legs as this bottle of wee was accidently poured over me by another assistant who did not know it was full. A green nappy pad was very partially pushed between the soaking sheet /bed and me. My hair, the operating gown and operation site were also wet but not inspected. I lay in my own pee for 2 and a half hours. my brother came at visiting time, and asked what the smell was, " it’s me I have lay in my own pee for 2 hours" I was soaking, got a puddle under my back.

Anything else?

I told the staff I am going for a shower and I am not concerned as it could only wash the pee off. I had my shower and the bed was changed but I don't think wiped down properly or the floor as when I lay in it I could still smell urine . The bottle which had been left since the spillage onto me ,had been left on the central ward cabinet, a member of staff picked it up and spilled the rest of my pee onto the ward floor and blue roll was used to clean this up. As I had said Previously I had filled in the meal sheet but nothing was available, so I had Half a cheese sandwich that had been left in the fridge and that was all I was offered from 7 pm Monday to 8-30 Tues, and I understand about nil by mouth but I had had my procedure.and I only got that because I spoke out , some people would not have received anything. the following day was better with new staff and I got out.

I was told if there was any concern call back in, I did this on Friday as a very large blue bruise had appeared and with being on Warfarin just wanted it checking, I was turned away from A4 and ended up at A+E had it been busy I would have gone away but there was only 2 in, so I apologised to the staff and explained what had happened. The sister had a look and the upshot was I was sent to S.A.U. where I had two needles in my arm, booked for an ultrsound scan, with the possibility of being on the emergency operating list, I even had a bed It seems it could have been an edema which could have burst my femoral artery. Thankfully no. but what if A+E had been busy and it had been, would I be writing to you now . Sad as it is all this is true without embellishments. What you do with it is up to you . at the least learn from it. Thank you.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Warrington Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback with us which we have passed on to the relevant teams. We are very sorry about the accident with the bottle that led to your inconvenience. If you'd like us to look at it any further please don't hesitate to contact us via our PALS service at pals@whh.nhs.uk who can look into it further for you.

With regards to your second point about A&E, please don't be put off if the department appears busy and you feel you need treatment for a follow up on a procedure. The protocol we have in place ensures that A&E can refer you straight to the Surgical Assessment Unit (which it seems happened in this case) withour delay. Every patient is triaged and then treated appropriately or referred to the right service dependent on their needs.

Thank you again for your comments - without your feedback we cannot make improvements to our services so it is very important to us.

  • {{helpful}} of {{total()}} people think this response is helpful