"Worried about a friend's inpatient care"

About: Torbay Hospital / Cardiology

(as a friend),

An old friend is in hospital right now with a cardiac problem.

He's barely eaten at all in the last week, but nobody seems to care. He's already underweight and poorly due to his condition and now he's dehydrated too.

His bed has been moved almost between wards every day since he was admitted and the ward is often very noisy all night, brightly lit and chaotic. He's getting so physically compromised and exhausted, he won't be fit for surgery when they finally get around to it!

I'm afraid this just isn't a safe environment for cardiac patients. His wife is terrified for him but scared to complain.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for your message. Your friend’s wife does not need to make a formal complaint if she doesn’t wish to, she can raise the matter informally through either the ward matron or the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS).

Either way, your friend’s care and treatment would not be compromised in any way whatsoever. As a Trust we encourage people to speak up and voice any concerns they have, so that something can be done to help resolve them. We would urge you to encourage your friend’s wife to discuss her concerns as soon as possible via either one of these routes.

A PALS Officer is available in person, Monday to Friday, between 10.00am and 2.00pm. You can contact them by calling 01803 655838 or on our 24 hour freephone number 0800 02 82 037. They can also be contacted by Text Phone on 01803 654742, by FAX on 01803 617162, or by email (your email will go direct to our PALS Service).

South Devon Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust