"My stay at Sunderland Royal"

About: Sunderland Royal Hospital / General medicine

(as the patient),

I was rushed into the Royal via the walk in centre with a temperature of nearly a 102, with a fast heart rate, chesty cough and coughing up blood. The service I recieved when I first arrived there with first class etc, checking my vital signs, blood tests. Then I was sent for a chest xray that confirmed what we all thought I had. I saw the doctor and was examined and told I would have to stay in for a day or two, because of my blood oxygen levels were low.

So after our chat etc, I had my first lot of antibiotics by iv drip. In the matter of twenty mins I felt better than I had all weekend, but it was just a start of a stay that I found very disappointing.

I was told I would be moved to a ward very soon. Six hours later and still no move and hardly been watched. I started to wonder what was going on, anybody would?

Finally after eight and a half hours in, I was moved. I feel like someone forgot I was there.

Getting onto the ward I was allocated, I was feeling a head ache coming on, and asked for two pain killers from one of the nurses, still no pain killers after been on the ward for four hours.

But one thing I must say about that ward, the nurses were very helpful towards me, not like the next ward I was on. I finally got my painkillers and something to eat but didn't touch it, it wasn't for me put it that way.

So comes to later on that night, I'm just getting settled, and on the move again. I'm going to cut this short cause I feel the doctors and staff on that ward I was on are not worth a mention and I was so pleased when I got discharged.

I feel that the staff I saw did not care for me properly. If I'm ever ill again, god forbid, I would not want to be in the Sunderland Royal. I give this hospital a 2 out of 10. I found my experience very disappointing, I think there needs to big changes to the whole system.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››