"Lack of information and care for my miscarriage"

About: George Eliot Hospital / Gynaecology

(as the patient),

I was rushed to George Eliot Hospital A and E department presenting a history at reception of: severe abdominal pain, excessive vomiting, dizziness and headache, a concern of possibly miscarrying. I also informed them of my pregnancy making them aware I believed myself to be at least 12 weeks pregnant.

I was awaiting a dating scan. I expressed my concerns that something wasn't right with my baby to the nurse overseeing my care. She laughed in my face and told me "not to be silly".

I was later diagnosed with hyperemesis. They took blood samples from me for analysis. The lab phoned A and E to get another sample as the bloods they had sent previously were inadequate. They set up IV fluids and tried to extract my blood, again failing to do so.

I was admitted onto Drayton ward, put in a room with a broken window, no heating or privacy as my door would not close fully. At 1:30am a doctor was sent to my bedside to extract my blood again. He failed in doing so with my arm, I begged him to try and get a sample from my neck, groin, feet, he refused and said he would send someone else to try, they never got a sample from me. Resulting in me being discharged without them being done, and myself still feeling very ill. I was discharged with no discharge letter, without medications and had them withheld from me for a day, making me sicker. My GP is yet to receive discharge letter.

The following evening I was rushed back to the hospital in concern with severe bleeding and history of the same as above. I was given antibiotics by the doctor treating me, the doctor then wrote in my notes "suspected miscarriage", neglected to inform me and sent me home with an assumed urinary tract infection. I was given no pain relief, was left frightened and in a lot of pain.

I was left to organise my own scans. I subsequently contacted a midwife that had been referred to me by George Eliot hospital. She was unable to take my call, I left a voicemail regarding to what condition I was in at this point, profusely bleeding with large clots, in agony losing my baby.

She got my message 5 days later, and phoned me on the day of my child's funeral. I have also had a customer service representative ask me if I myself was at fault, also asked the insensitive question "was any of this to do with sexual intercourse?"

I have been trying to contact the chief executive of George Eliot Hospital for the past 5 weeks for a response to my case of neglect. Sadly he is yet to contact me, so I feel he is just as neglectful as the hospital he represents.

I feel my child and my ordeal have just been swept under the carpet. I'm left clinically depressed with psychological trauma.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››