"absolutley horrible."

About: The Royal Liverpool University Hospital

What I liked

There is very little i can say i liked about this hospital the only person i felt treated me with respect was the porter that took me to scans, he was kind and always had a smile on his face.

What could be improved

could of been improved is an understatment. when i arrived in the a&e i was complaining about abdo pain, vomiting and dizzyness. my blood count containing the white blood cells were high and showed infection. after hours of waiting around i was told i needed to be admitted and was told to wait for a bed. that was at 11pm. by 2.30am they had brought down a hospital bed from a ward turned the light of and i spent the next 3 hours sleeping in an a&e cubicle, not being checked on for hours. when i finally was taken upstairs i had 2 hours sleep before being woken up by a doctor. he told me he thinks the pain i was gettin was caused by a cyst on my ovary or some other gyni problem. he was rude and never looked at me and explained my case he talked about me infront of me to his junior doctors. I was then told at 8 oclock that morning i would be getting a scan. my scan did not happen until the following afternoon. i was only told by the doctor that did the scan and the porter what my results of the scan were my doctor never came round to inform me. through the night sickness was worsening and i rang the buzzer many a times for help but no nurse came. in the morning the doctor cam round and said he wanted to do a laposcopy to investigate as they thought it was my appendix. the operation was meant to take half an hour. during the op i had a reaction to a sickness drug and started confulsing. i was in recovery for 6 hours. my parents were never told what had happend they were never even informed what was going on. after the op i was in imense pain. i was given codean when i asked for it, it was never just brought to me. all through the night i was asking for pain relief and was told the doctor could only give me some in the morning so i lay in pain hours after my op all night. the doctor came round the following morning and told me i had a cyst on my ovary that had ruptured. i could be sent home. i was in so much pain my dressings were weaping and i couldnt keep any

Anything else?

(carried on from what might be improved)

medications down, i said i didnt feel well enough, i couldnt even walk to the toliet.

abour 4 hours later a doctor came round who id never seen before and said, ' there is no reason for you to be in any pain, your operation went fine.' i was stunned. what part had gone fine?

i said i had a cyst, she told me i didnt and even if i did i should be in any pain now, unless there was a reason why i didnt want to go home? i was so angry! how dare she?!i said i wanted to speak to someone else she said, you wont get anymore senior than me.

they sent me home in pain, i developed an infection and i am still swollen, they should have gave me antibiotics striaght away but they didnt.

this hospital is discusting, the level of care and communication is unacceptable. i will be making a formal complaint.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››