"Fantastic service throughout all teams"
About: St Mary's Hospital (Newport) St Mary's Hospital (Newport) Newport PO30 5TG
Posted via NHS Choices
What I liked
- The nurse that greeted me took a long time to address my concerns, and put me at as much ease as was possible.
- The anaesthetist was very friendly, and again helped me feel at ease.
- Due to problems I had experienced in surgery previously, my surgeon also came out to speak to me, which he didn't have to do.
- I was taken down for surgery earlier than expected
- I was provided with food and drink following my surgery
- I was discharged earlier than expected, virtually pain free
- all staff were friendly, polite and courteous
What could be improved
- I was told that I would be given a phone call the next day to check how I was getting on, but this didn't happen. This is my only negative comment regarding the day of the operation, and could be easily resolved. I wouldn't have been disappointed to have been sent home with all relevant info, but if people say they will ring, then they should.
- In my followup appointment, my surgeon who had previously been very helpful, was suddenly very dismissive. However, he did the job he was asked to do, so can't really complain.
I am aware that all staff on the day were aware of the dreadful experience I went through in a previous episode at St Marys, and feel as though all though I couldnt fault them on the day, a lot of it was only done because of what happened before, and dont feel that i would of been treated so well had this not of been the case.
However, it is a very busy hospital, and all of the staff should be commended for their hard work and enthusiasm.
The changes from my visit in 2009 to this year are really noticeable, well done.