"My husband's care at QMC"

About: Queen's Medical Centre

(as a relative),

My husband was an inmate in a prison, when he was admitted to the Queens Medical Centre Nottingham. I was extremely concerned that he was allowed to discharge himself the same day that he went in to the hospital although he himself cant remember doing this.

I was reassured by the Stroke Rehabilitation Unit that they would take care of my husband and involve the whole family. However I did not get any phone call or letter telling me about his condition or the treatment he would get. It was only after 5-6 weeks that a speech and language therapist came out from the Unit to see my husband in the prison.

This has left me really worried about the future and whether the specialist help from the hospital will be available to my husband and I cant help wondering if my husband got the same level of treatment as anyone else.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Nottingham University Hospitals Trust

Thank you for your feedback concerning your husband’s recent stay at our hospital.

We take extreme care to ensure that all our patients receive the highest quality care and are treated equally, regardless of their circumstances.

Please do contact me on 0115 9249924 ext 66793 so we can look into this further and provide you with answers you rightly deserve.

– Jim Murray, Acute Medicine Clinical Lead.

Response from Stroke Association, Stroke Association

We were sorry to hear of your husband’s stroke and that you do not feel that he received good care. It sounds as though the hospital is willing to look into your concerns but if you are still unhappy, it may be helpful to contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS). PALS is an independent organisation, there to ensure that the NHS listens to patients, their relatives, carers and friends, answers their questions and resolves their concerns as quickly as possible. You can telephone PALS at QMC on 0800 183 0204 or email them at pals@nuh.nhs.uk.

You may also be interested to hear about the work of the Stroke Association and how we may be able to support you and your husband. We have Coordinators across the UK, providing information, advice and support to people affected by stroke. You can find out if there is a service in your area by contacting our Stroke Helpline.

Our Helpline staff are there for anyone who has been affected by stroke in any way. We can offer information about stroke, practical advice and support, or simply someone to talk to. The Stroke Helpline is open Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm on 0303 30 33 100. You can also email us at info@stroke.org.uk

You may also find our website helpful. There is lots of information about stroke, including our range of leaflets and factsheets at www.stroke.org.uk.

I hope that this is helpful and that your husband is now getting the support that he needs to make the best recovery possible.

Liz Jenkins

Stroke Information Service


Stroke Association staff are not medically trained and the information provided does not replace information given to you by your own healthcare provider.

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful