"My father’s illness and death"

About: Ayr Hospital / Combined Assessment Unit (CAU) Crosshouse Hospital / Ayrshire Doctor on Call (ADOC) NHS 24 / NHS 24 (111 service) Scottish Ambulance Service / Emergency Ambulance

(as a relative),

My father became unwell overnight, the community alarm service was contacted and then NHS24. An on call doctor arrived and after discussion with my sister and myself, and after examining Dad, concluded that Dad should be admitted to Ayr Hospital. With Dad’s condition deteriorating, I phoned 999 and ambulance arrived fairly soon afterwards.

Dad was taken to the CAU and staff attended to him almost immediately. It soon became apparent that he was very seriously ill and that other family should be informed. As soon as a room became available he was taken there.   He passed away peacefully the following day at 4pm with all of us with him.

Throughout the time he was in CAU, he was treated promptly and professionally and with dignity and respect. We were cared for and supported throughout. I have nothing but the highest praise for all the staff in CAU who were involved in caring for Dad and for us. We could not have wished for anything better. Communication from the medical staff, the care and compassion of the nursing staff were all of the highest quality. We can only express our thanks to all concerned and commend the hospital on such quality service and support.

Response from Linda Robertson, Clinical Nurse Manager for CAU, Combined Assessment Unit (CAU)- Crosshouse Hospital, NHS Ayrshire and Arran

Thank you for your kind words. Our condolences to you and your family. Coming into hospital is stressful at any time and obviously no more so when you find yourself facing that end of life period. We strive to ensure all our patients are treated with dignity and respect, with delays in getting into a ward as short as possible. Communication is vital to ensure everyone is clear and supported as they require to be. I am glad to hear that you felt staff kept you updated and informed during this difficult time. We often talk about what is a good death and that is very much down to the individual and their families needs, support and good communication being key. I will ensure your post is shared with staff within the Unit as I believe it is good for staff to hear about the good experiences people have had.

"Those we love can never be more than a thought away... for as long as there is a memory they live in our hearts to stay"

• iMunros thinks this response is helpful

Response from Shona Lawrence, Patient Experience Manager, NHS 24

Dear iMunros

Thank you so much for sharing your experience on Care Opinion. I am sure this remains a difficult time and I offer you, and your family, my sincere condolences on your sad loss. I am so pleased your family feel your Dad's care was managed with compassion, dignity and respect. It is great for staff to receive such heartfelt thanks from families and I see that Linda will share your comments with the staff at Crosshouse Hospital.

Within your story, you referenced contact with NHS 24 which resulted in an Out of Hours GP attending to your father. Our staff always try to put callers at ease, especially when a loved one is very unwell as it is appreciated that callers will be anxious and worried. Your story will also be shared within NHS 24.

Thanks again for taking the time to get in touch.

With best wishes to you and your family.

Shona

Shona Lawrence

NHS 24 Patient Experience Manager

• iMunros thinks this response is helpful

Update posted by iMunros (a relative)

Thank you for your kind words, and Linda’s too. I am delighted these comments will be shared with staff, but please note that it was CAU at University Hospital Ayr, not Crosshouse.