"Am I making a mountain out of a molehill?"

About: General practices in Greater Glasgow & Clyde

Phoned requesting appointment with Female GP. Advised no appointments today (ok), or, next week, as they were short of female doctors. I said it was a gynaecological problem, hence my request. I had discovered a lump on my vagina. Receptionist said it was probably an abscess and suggested I phone back on Monday!  I should probably have said I'll see a male GP but, and I hate to say this, but I felt slightly intimidated!  the receptionist is probably right and it is an abscess but it sounded so cold and clinical, I came off the phone feeling a wee bit tearful and hadn't felt a bit like that when I called!

Am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

Response from Nicole McInally, Patient Experience and Public Involvement Manager, Patient Experience and Public Involvement Team, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde

Dear SengaT

Thank you for your post.

I don’t think you are making a mountain out of a molehill as you have a right to request a female GP, and you should also be treated with dignity and respect when accessing NHS Services. I am sorry for the upset this has caused you.

As GP Practices are independent contractors your best option would be to contact the practice manager and explain how you feel. I am sure that they will want to hear of your experience and see how they can help.

If you don’t feel comfortable contacting the Practice Manager directly, I can forward your post on your behalf. If you would like me to do so, I would be grateful if you could email me with the name of your GP surgery. My email address is Nicole.McInally@ggc.scot.nhs.uk

If you would prefer, the Patient Advice and Support Service is an independent service which provides free confidential information, advice and support to patients Tel: 0800 917 2127 or Email: pass@cas.org.uk. They can help support you to make a complaint if this is something that you would wish to do.

Take Care