"Good consultation, issues with reception"

About: University Hospital Wishaw / Emergency department

(as a parent/guardian),

I attended the fracture clinic at Wishaw with my toddler. The medical staff who assisted us could not be faulted. They made myself and my toddler feel at ease and I would like to thank they for all their help.

However, I have been so disappointed by the customer service by the some members of the reception staff in A & E I encountered. I had to make a return appointment, I stood for over 5 minutes before being acknowledged while three members of staff seemed to be round a computer completing staff training modules .

I then got told clinic wouldn't be opened in 2 weeks for a return appointment so was told that I would have to go and find the consultant to find out when I had to return. I found this very unprofessional and embarrassing that I had to do this as the consultant was with a patient.

After speaking to consultant, I then returned to make another appointment to which I was ignored again for several minutes and I then got the answer that the staff member was dealing with an emergency and couldn't book my return appointment until later. To which I told the staff member to pop it in the post. My toddler had been in for almost two hours and was getting tired and frustrated so I really just wanted out plus I was annoyed in the manner which I was spoken to.

I can understand that it must be stressful working as the face of the A & E department but some manners and some empathy would go a long way.

I have since phoned up to try and change follow up appointment to be told that the staff member was in the middle of something. I asked to be called back and got told that that is not how it works in here.

I am definitely not one to complain either. I put my visit down to being a bad day but then got same level of service on the phone today so wanted to share my experience.

Response from John Duncan, Head of Health Records, Health Records, NHS Lanarkshire

Hi I am sorry that you were unhappy with the service received at A&E reception. I would like to investigate this a bit further with them. Can you please contact me on email below

john.duncan@lanarkshire.scot.nhs.uk.