"Why no follow up appointments?"

About: Musgrove Park Hospital / Rheumatology

I presented first last year in Feb 18 and saw a Dr. From there it was recommended that I re-commence having infusions every six months. My last was at the beginning of December 2018. A follow-up appointment was made to see the same Dr again mid Feb 2019. This was cancelled and approximately nine weeks later I eventually received another with again the same Dr in April. Then again this was cancelled and I now have another in mid June.

I requested an explanation and a notification of a further infusion for end May/beginning June. I received a letter with an explanation and an assurance that my request for an infusion would be given to the correct dept. I have had no such appointment for an infusion and suspect it is because I have to see the specialist. However, this does not help the severe poly-rheumatoid arthritis I have or the severe pain and stiffness because the infusion has worn off.

Why does an existing R. A. patient not have a follow-up appointment given on the day of the infusion. The Haematology Department gives one a future appointment on the same day as the old one. There is none of the worry as that created by Rheumatology Department, which I feel desperately needs over-hauling.

Response from Charmaine Griffiths, Volunteer and Patient Involvement Lead, Patient Experience, Taunton and Somerset NHS Foundation Trust

Dear 'Hello Dolly', thank you for sharing your feedback regarding cancellation of your appointments. We have passed your posting to the Clinical Service Manager for consideration.

We will post a reply once we hear back.

Kind regards,