"Went to have my ankle looked at"

About: Aberdeen Royal Infirmary / Emergency Medicine

Went to A&E to have my ankle looked at.

My injury had happened over a week ago and wasn’t getting better so I went to get it checked, it didn’t appear that busy so I decided to go to reception and get booked in.

I was then seen by a lovely nurse who then put through to the waiting room. I was called into the examination room after about an hour and the nurse practitioner wasn’t very helpful at all and said I should t have been there as it’s been more than 72 hours without GP appointment first, and then took very little care to examine, I’m not registered in Aberdeen as of yet due to new move and unable to drive to my GP and this member of staff didn’t seem to care about this and just told me it was a sprain and to get up and get moving on it as this is an emergency department and I should have seen my GP.

Response from Julie Wattie, Nurse Manager, Medicine 1 (Medicine and Unscheduled Care Division), NHS Grampian

Dear Converned080519,

I am sorry to hear that you had cause to attend the Emergency Department and that you did not have a good experience. Our Lead Nurse for the Emergency Department Aifric Twomey would be happy for you to contact her if you wish to discuss this further on 01224 554325 or by email on aifric.twomey@nhs.net

Thanks