"I was surprised mum was considered 'fit for discharge'"

About: Raigmore Hospital / Geriatric Assessment

My mother aged 88 had been unwell with UTI one Thursday and Friday in April. She suffered as a consequence many partial seizures and was off legs. She was admitted to GA.

On the Sunday I visited her and found her to be very confused. I notified nursing staff who arranged for a junior doctor to see her. I was told that they would do more blood tests in the morning Imagine my surprise when I was told over the phone that mum was fit for discharge and that they were sending her home as soon as could be arranged. I told them that I couldn't come and get her and was surprised that she was considered fit for discharge. I was contacted again to say they would be sending her home in a taxi. This they did. Mum arrived home in her night clothes and slippers having travelled 40 miles in a taxi with a man she didn't know. She was confused when she arrived home and her dentures were not to be found. I phoned the ward and they had not got her dentures.

I am a Practice Nurse and have been a nurse in many hospitals and care home settings. In my entire 40 years as a nurse I have not seen anything like this before.

Her first 2 nights home she was frail confused and I was needing to set my alarm clock every 2 hours to get up and help her to the toilet. Plus go to work the next day.

I am appalled at this. Mum was not better from her UTI and needed another subsequent course of antibiotics before she became well. In addition to this I have had to arrange dental appointment for this frail old lady to have her teeth replaced. This of course will incur the cost of the replacement of over £112

Response from Sylvia Fraser, Complaints Manager, Raigmore Hospital, NHS Highland

Dear Callthiscare

I am sincerely sorry to hear of your mother's experience during her admission to Raigmore Hospital and her discharge.

In order to review this matter further on your behalf I would be grateful if you would contact me via email. I can then investigate the surroundings of your mother's care and discharge.

In order to do this I require your mothers name, address and date of birth

I can be contacted on Sylvia.fraser@nhs.net.

Your sincerely