"I remember how they made me feel."

About: Aberdeen Royal Infirmary / Emergency Medicine

I frequently need access to support during a mental health crisis and have attended ARI several times.

The A&E receptionists are nothing short of incredible! They do a hard job and need a lot of patience and understanding. Due to the fact at times I’m a bit of a “frequent flyer” the receptionists do know me.

It is appreciated, when I’m distressed, generally I don’t have to tell them an awful lot. All I have to tell them is whether I have an appointment or I need A&E. It is very clear to me, they have an understanding of people like me who do need Unscheduled Care regularly.

I’m not good at remembering names I apologise but, I do remember faces and I remember how they made me feel. I hope that is remembered and they keep it up as, it makes such a difference to people who are in crisis that, the first person they spoke to was compassionate and understanding.

Response from Julie Wattie, Nurse Manager, Medicine 1 (Medicine and Unscheduled Care Division), NHS Grampian

Dear AberdeenAngel,

Thank you for your comments. We will ensure they are shared with the team.

Hope you are keeping well

Julie