"Continence Service"

About: Wellington Community Hospital

I was referred to the service by my GP because I have been experiencing increasingly urgent need to pee whilst out walking, and becoming worried that I may not reach a toilet in time.

I have been aware of my urethra/bladder problem for many years and have had regular prostate checks, so I really just wanted to see someone to focus on different practices I could adopt to reduce the urgency.

I saw Sam at the local cottage hospital and, having had a couple of tests and a discussion with her about my caffeine intake (in particular) and other relevant factors, she let me go to see if I could improve matters myself.

And I have! Just a very slight adjustment to some of my daily routines/habits has  resulted in an improvement in the situation, and so far I am very happy with the outcome.

Sam telephoned me to check how it was going and has now signed me off.

Response from Catherine Weller, Service Manager, Countywide Services, Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Worried Dogwalker,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave feedback on the service you received at the Wellington Continence Clinic.

It is lovely to hear that you found Sam's advise so helpful and that you are seeing an improvement in your symptoms.

You feedback is particularly helpful to us as a service, as the tests you received at Wellington are part of a trial we are undertaking. The aim being to try to prevent individuals being unnecessarily referred to the Urology Service when appropriate support can be offered locally by the continence service.

Thank you again for your feedback and I will ensure Sam is made aware of how beneficial you found her advise and support.