"Maternity Waiting Area"

About: Inverclyde Royal Hospital / Maternity care

I recently suffered a miscarriage. I was cared for my the wonderful team of midwives in F-North who were all brilliant and swift with reviewing me when I was going through a really tough time.

After my miscarriage was confirmed I had to re-attend for another couple of appointments. Both times, I was asked to take a seat in the waiting area- the communal waiting area was for everyone-baby or no baby.

I did feel that it was unfair and insensitive. I had to sit in the same waiting area as all the clearly still pregnant mothers to be. I was devastated and still coming to terms with it. Sitting there, I was surrounded by the reminder of what I had lost and what everything they had to come. I felt so upset by it I began to walk outside the unit to wait, but then my name was called.

I expressed my thoughts to the midwife who said it was a common query that came up, with a lot of women feeling that way. If this is the case can a different waiting area be considered for patients and their families who have suffered a miscarriage?

This is something so small that could make such a difference to those of us who have had a loss. I seriously hope I don't have to go through a miscarriage again and if so I hope their is a more appropriate waiting area for mothers who miscarry.

Response from Pamela McGoldrick, Senior Organisational Development Advisor, Women & Children's Services, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde We are preparing to make a change

Dear Lady 2018M

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Care Opinion.

I am very sorry to hear about your sad loss and understand that this must be a difficult time for you and your family.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the care you received from the team in F North. I will ensure your feedback is fed back to the team and I know they will appreciate receiving this.

I would like to extend an apology to you regarding the distress caused by sharing a waiting area with other expectant woman. I agree that this was very insensitive and unacceptable. I have reviewed the waiting area with the team and we have agreed it will be possible to convert a room into an additional waiting area for women who may have suffered a loss in their pregnancy. This change will be in effect within a very short timescale.

I hope it is of some comfort to you to know that we have fully acknowledged the concerns that you raise and we are committed to making a change that prevents this problem arising for other women in the future.

I hope that you are recovering well over time.

Best wishes