"Failure to feedback information to a patient"

About: NHS Orkney

(as a relative),

My wife had a video conference with the chest specialist in early December. The specialist's report was received by her GP but it was not given to my wife until I asked the practice nurse that the content of the report was given to her

More about:
Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Julie Tait, Patient Experience Officer, NHS Orkney

Dear Anxious

I am very sorry to hear that your wife has been having difficulties in receiving feedback from her GP. Unfortunately I am unable to respond fully as you have not provided enough detail for me to look into this matter.

May I suggest that your wife discusses this issue directly with her GP. Her GP will be able to explain why he/she has not discussed the specialist's report with her and also will be able to answer any queries that your wife has about the contents and findings of the report.

However, if you feel you would like to talk to someone other than the GP, can I suggest you contact myself, Julie Tait, Patient Experience Officer, Garden House, New Scapa Road, Kirwall - email julietait@nhs.net or telephone 01856 888221. I can try and help you raise your concerns with the GP, informally or more formally if you feel you wish to make a complaint. Alternatively, if you would like some independent advice and support, perhaps you would like to speak to Hilary Allan, Independent Advice and Support Service, Citizens Advice Bureau, Anchor Buildings, Bridge Street, Kirkwall - telephone 01856 875266. Hilary offers help and support to all NHS users who are having comments, concerns or complaints relating to their healthcare and she may be able to raise your concern informally or try to resolve the issue with the people providing your care.

I hope your wife feels able to raise this issue with her GP but if not, please don't hesistate to contact me.

Julie Tait - Patient Experience Officer, NHS Orkney

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful