"Total unorgansied disaster from beginning to end!"

About: St James's University Hospital

My admission to the same day unit was like a cattle market. Saw a nurse who just seemed half asleep at 7.30am. Was then sent to put my gown on in the toilet so I could either put my folded clothes on the floor or the bin! I was then told to sit in a ''comfy'' chair till my op so I was in my gown & ready by 7.50am even though I was last on the surgeon's list. Lucky my bed became available on ward 71 at lunchtime so I was able to move. My 1 day stay on ward 71 following my operation was fine no concerns or issues. I was then moved to ward 62 my god what a complete shambles. I told them I had a serious phobia to vomit & within 20 mins of getting a bed a lady was vomiting so I left the ward instantly lucky it was visiting so my hubbi was there. One nurse showed us to the day room & stayed an hour late to sort me a side room. While anothers curt reply was its a hospital people are sick....I didn't decide to have my phobia.

The ward stank, nurse had bowls of feaces from stoma pouches, with no cover over nothing just wandering around.

A serious lack of common hygiene seemed apparent!

I have a stoma & believe me my house doesn't stink!

What could be improved

Nurse who actually cared for a start. From getting my side room at 8.45pm nobody spoke to me. Then at 12.15 my door opened & a nurse just said paracetamol? To which I declined they also tried to inject me with anti clotting drug even though I had been up & active for a good 20 hours!

The food was not fit for much either!

Doctors working on a weekend so people can be discharged! I asked on Sunday morning to see someone & eventually discarged myself at 6.30pm.

The hospital say they have bed shortages & then leave people taking up beds that they do not really need!

Anything else?

Will not be coming here again in a hurry!

The only thing I can say is that the ward housekeepers were lovely cheerfu l happy people. It was a good job as somebody had to be in there!

Response from Becky Riffel, Communications and Engagement, NHS Leeds

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Patient Opinion. I was sorry to hear that you had to wait for a long time, and that your personal needs were not immediately addressed on the ward. I am also sorry to hear about your experiences with the nurses.

I shall pass your comments onto the Patient Relations Manager at the hospital.