You're offline
You're back online! Refresh the page
The site has been updated! Refresh the page

"Overworked nurses mixing up meds, shortage of food..."

About: Royal Free Hospital

What I liked

That they allowed visitors to visit me to care for me when they were too busy to look after me

the bed was quite good

Porridge for breakfast was really good except it ran out when I was moved to the furthest bed from the entrance

What could be improved

Like the other patient who was on the 7th floor I also had many problems there, also with a broken leg, actually broken ankle

I was admitted for a broken ankle, it all started with being admitted onto the ward but the bed was not ready yet. They knew I was coming but no was available to clean the bed. I was left in a wheel chair in pain for over an hour. This did not allow me to keep my leg raised which caused significant pain.

I was also not given any pain killers until I got to my bed & a doctor was called. I was in agony for hours!

I was admitted to A&E at 7am then waited till 9am to be seen. I then waited another hour or two till I was taken to the ward. I then waited for the bed & missed lunch. Considering that I missed breakfast I was very hungry.

Important to note that it takes over 30 mins to get a response to the call bell. This was the case with all patients! Lucky it was not an emergency

I also had problems with the medication. It worked both ways, they thought I already had pain killers when I didnt have any & vice versa when I had already taken my meds they tried to give them to me twice! Lucky my relatives were there to keep an eye on me not overdosing.

The heat is unbearable. Everyone was complaining patients, nurses, visitors etc. It is 33 degrees!!

The toilets are always dirty!!

The toilet in bay for beds 567,8 is always smelly!

Supper is served at about 5 then there is no food till 9 am. I was quite hungry many times.

Yes, there is a major shortage of cushions on the 7th floor, a good tip, the nurses have taken to putting towels into pillow cases

Discharge took 6 hours, as the doctors were simply too busy.

I was given very little information about my meds & condition.

Anything else?

Physiotherapy came to teach me to walk with crutches twice - total miscommunication!!!

Some of the nurses are very helpful and one nurse even hugged me bye bye as I left, but they are very very overworked

overall a week of hell

The doctors didn't come round at all during the weekend when they were meant to visit daily.

The nurses are too busy

I was given an appointement once discharged for a test on the nerves in my foot. They are obviously not aware that the test cant be done whilst in a cast. I got a cab in for the test which caused significant pain & discomfort I should not have been sent there

Story from


Response from Royal Free Hospital

Thank you for your comments. We are very concerned with some of the points you raised. We are offering the opportunity to discuss your comments with one of our matrons. If you would like to speak to someone, please contact us through with your contact details, and we'll try and arrange a meeting.

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful