"Refused ambulance"

About: King's College Hospital (Denmark Hill) / Neurology Maidstone Hospital / Accident and emergency South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust / Emergency ambulance

I came over very suddenly with a severe headache and couldn’t move my neck. I then started to be violently sick. My husband called 999 but within only a couple of questions said I was not a priority and should be taken to hospital by a family member. Luckily my daughter was able to drive while my husband sat with me.

On arriving at the hospital and collapsing in the toilets I was eventually seen in majors where after having a ct scan was told I’d had a brain hemorrhage and needed to be blue lit to kings college. I eventually got there and had 6 hours of open brain surgery to save my life. I feel like I am very lucky to still be here to tell the tale but am disgusted that I was refused an ambulance and had to put my family through all the added stress.

Response from Graham Parrish, Patient Experience Manager, South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust

I was very sorry to read of your experience and do hope that you are recovering from your ordeal, it must have been a very worrying time for you and your family and I am sorry that this was added to by an ambulance not being sent to you.

I would like to investigate and respond formally to your experience and wonder if you would email pet@secamb.nhs.uk confirming the date and time you called 999 and the address that you requested an ambulance to be sent to.

Once I have these details I will arrange for a full investigation to be carried out and a response sent to you.

Please accept my sincere apologies that you have had to raise concerns and I wish you well for a full and speedy recovery.

Regards

Graham Parrish

Patient Experience Manager

Response from King's College Hospital (Denmark Hill)

I believe that Graham Parrish has replied to your post on Patient Opinion.

How terribly worrying for you.

I am very pleased indeed to hear that your surgery was successful and wish you all the best for your recovery.