"Ultrasound - Dread it, don't look forward to it"

About: Wythenshawe Hospital

The cleanliness of the department was great, and my waiting time was virtually nothing but some people who were there earlier than me were still there when i left an hour later.

The visit was for my 12 week ultrasound scan and the pictures that i received of my baby were very good pictures.

What could be improved

The woman who did my ultrasound was very rude, in general i have been treated horribly by my midwifes, and this scan made me feel even worse, while suffering with prenatal depression i thought i would of been handled a little better.

I was shown into the room and my partner and mother attended with me. The first thing she did was tell me off for bringing an extra person. I was told nothing about the scan, about how many people i could bring, that i had to fill my bladder... nothing.

She then wouldn't let me see the screen throughout the whole ultrasound, i didn't get to see my baby. I was clearly a little distressed by this and every time i tried to sit up to see the screen, i was told to lie back down and let her do her job.

I missed seeing my baby for the first time, and i think patient care is something that clearly needs reviewing in this area.

the only thing i could come up with was that i look alot younger than i am and maybe she thought i was another teen mum, but i'm not i have a stable job, partner, home and i was extremely distressed by this. I have my next scan next week and instead of being excited i am extremely nervous and dreading whether they are going to refuse to tell me the sex or not. I am also planned to give birth here, i'm really worried that i'm not going to have any care taken.

Response from Wythenshawe Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to email UHSM with your comments regarding your recent visit to the hospital. I am sorry to hear that you feel that you have been treated badly. If you would like to discuss things confidentially with a Patient Experience Team Officer please do not hesitate to contact them on 0161 291 5600. I will make sure that your comments are forwarded to the relevant departmental managers.

Patient Experience Team