"Go find yourself some crutches...."

About: Brownlow Group Practice

I suffer from acute sciatica which makes walking extremely difficult when both legs are extremely weak and painful. Although the Advance Nurse Practitioner at Student Health has been fantastic both times I have seen her, she even managed to squeeze me in with a Doctor at the main Brownlow Health Practice the same afternoon. I was over the moon to get some more help, she suggested that maybe the doctor provided some crutches to help improve my mobility. When I arrived at my appointment, the doctor who had kindly squeezed me in, suggested I "go find myself some crutches" with no numbers to call to source these crutches or any suggestions. I was sent away after this appointment, still very unstable on my feet and hobbling around university trying to find myself some crutches, thinking I was going to have to resort to ordering my own on Amazon. As a student, I have lost all independence from my sciatica flare up and I'm shocked at such poor advice.

Response from Brownlow Group Practice

Hello.

We are very sorry to hear that what started as a positive situation ended up so frustrating for you.

The process of obtaining crutches from the primary care (GP) setting is not as clear cut as you might hope, and I can only suppose that the doctor, at the end of a busy clinic, felt unsure how to navigate the process, but even so it is difficult to account for the comment that was made, and we can only apologise.