"Overall, I wasnt impressed with the care"

About: Queen's Medical Centre / General surgery

(as the patient),

I was admitted to QMC nottingham in may with abdominal pains. They originally thought it was my gallbladder that was causing my stomach problems, then they thought i had a irritated colon, and then they suspected other things wrong with me, it took them 3 days to diagnose me with a water infection.

I was then discharged with medication, but since then i was having stomach problems, I saw my own GP at the beginning of August 2011, I still wasnt happy as i knew my body & knew something else wasnt right, i went to the A&E department at the hospital and was seen by a nurse in fracture clinic, (why i dont know) who again diagnosed me with a water infection, but was rather rude towards me when i tried explaining something else wasnt right, her reply to me was "its a water infection, nothing else can be wrong with you" and with this again i was sent home.

Again i went to see my own GP a few days later who told me they thought it could be a grumbling appendix or gastentoris, but they werent sure which, so was sent home and told me to go back if i got any worse, I went back two days later, and my GP admitted me with a inflammed appendix.

When i arrived at ward C31 at QMC I was admitted by some lovely nurses, and was asked to wait in the waiting room to be seen by a DR. I waited 2 hours (this was at 2pm) to be seen and then i was seen by a medical student and was examined, i was told i would have to wait to see a consultant.

Again i was sent back into the waiting room, i was eventually seen 3 1/2 to 4 hours later, and was told by the consultant that i did have appendicitis and that my operation would be at some point that night which didnt happen.

When i asked the nurses about when my operation would be they couldnt give me a specific time, at this point i was 24 hours NBM. My operation eventually went ahead at 4pm, my partner was told the procedure would only take a hour and a half, I didnt return to the ward until 4 1/2 hours later.

The next day I was told that i would be discharged once i ate a full meal, i took 2 bites out of my sandwich at lunchtime for a nurse to tell me that i was being discharged, i asked to speak to a Dr about this which didnt happen, i did not see a Dr until the following day at 8am to be told i was being discharged,

Overall i wasnt impressed with the care i received while i was there, I went for walks because i hated being stuck in the ward it took 10 minutes min for a nurse to come and let me back onto the ward because they were taking their time

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››