"DRI and TRH are remarkably good hospitals with..."
About: Doncaster Royal Infirmary Doncaster Royal Infirmary Doncaster DN2 5LT
Posted by B**********d
What I liked
I have spent a considerable amount of time in hospital in the last 5 years; diabetes,heart problems, circulation problems, amputation, and terminal cancer.
I found that the DRI and TRH Hospitals provided truly exceptional care on each of my many stays. I have considerable experience in the workings of the NHS, having been employed by them for 35 years, and yet often amazed at the dedication of its staff working under difficult conditions.
The first time in a hospital can be very scary and it often brings out the worst in people. Patients are often impatient! . I find that patience, politeness and as much of a sense of humour as you can muster helps patients get through these difficult times a little bit easier.
I know the foods not too good sometimes and some nurses can be irritable at times - have Patience. If you have complaints take them up with a Sister not the cleaner! Nuff said.
What could be improved
1. I believe people with out patient appointments should be kept aware of waiting times, they are not. Staff should inform patients of the probable waiting time to be seen when they arrive.
2. DRI has transformed itself into a business like, and efficient organisation. Look at the beautiful modern Medical Imaging department, and the efficient new phlebotomy service. Yet I have waited hours and hours for a prescription to be filled by Pharmacy. Sort this out urgently it's a disgrace.
3. Food - still not quite right at DRI, take a look at food provision in Tickhill Road it's much better. Food should be platered out on the ward - hang the extra cost!
4. Parking. I know its a hot potato of a subject. You really do nead to come up with something better than "Park and Ride". I know its difficult - but there is an answer- keep thinking.
5. Uniforms. Every nurse in the trust should have a uniform that identifies their status, clearly.
Yes I can usually spot Sisters, but uniforms vary from ward to ward, hospital to hospital. They should also fit properly, you know what I mean?
6. Cleaniness. Wow what an inprovement over the last few years- a remarkable achievement . However hand sterilisers for patients and visitors should be mandatory. A vistor entering or leaving (?) a ward should be made to sterilise their hands- Not difficult to arrange.