"Supported and cared for"

About: Highbury Hospital

The staff were really supportive and listened, cared and helped signpost me to other activities / groups in the community hall. They are a really friendly group.

I was an inpatient for around 3 months whilst I didn’t plan to be admitted to hospital I realised was unwell so there for treatment to get better and move forward positively with my life.

In hospital I felt well supported and cared for. I feel there is a stigma around mental health but now realise that it happens to 1 in 4 or 1 in 3 people and is nothing to be ashamed of. I am now well and came out the other side a stronger person. I hope my confidence grows and I go on to bigger and better changes in life. If I get unwell again I will speak up and let my community team know co I can be treated in the community.

Response from Jane Danforth, Involvement Team, Involvement & Experience, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear Indigozt86

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It was good to hear the staff were really supportive and that they listened and helped to signpost you to other activities.

You mentioned the stigma around mental health and yes it does happens to 1 in 4 or 1 in 3 people as you say and now that you are recovering I'm heartened to read that your confidence is growing. It is really lovely to hear you say that you feel able to speak up and let your community team know so you can be treated in the community if you feel you need support with your mental health.

You didn't say exactly where you were treated and Highbury is a big place so it would be great if you can let me know so that I can tell the staff who looked after you about your feedback.

Keep going, keep talking and we will keep listening!

Kind Regards