"Complications following mesh insertion"

About: NHS Scotland Royal Alexandra Hospital / Gynaecology

My story started in 2006 with a hysterectomy & anterior mesh repair for prolapse. Within weeks the Mesh had eroded into my vagina & I was bleeding, had an infection & was in a lot of pain.

I was sent back to hospital where the Mesh was removed & another inserted. 2 years later I had to have a posterior repair carried out, again Mesh repair. 2 years later my anterior Mesh eroded into my vagina again, the surgeon removed as much of the Mesh as he could access but this left me with nerve damage to my bladder.

For the last 2 years my mobility has been deteriorating & now I can only walk for short distances before having to stop because of pain in my buttock & sacrum. I have attended every physio. possible, had hip x-ray & scan & there's nothing wrong with my bones.

My hips are turning inwards as if the nerve supply to the muscles is affected. I wonder if this is as a result of my posterior repair, which by the way has eroded vaginally!

Response from Jackie Baillie, Jackie Baillie's office, MSP for Dumbarton

Dear Marnie
A number of woman have a similar experience to yours and they have set up a Mesh Campaign Group. The Group has engaged lawyers to challenge the use of mesh. I can put you in touch with them if you would find this helpful.
Please email me at Jackie.baillie.msp@parliament.scot if you want me to do so.

Best wishes

Jackie

• Marnie thinks this response is helpful

Response from Pamela McGoldrick, Senior Organisational Development Advisor, Women & Children's Services, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde

Dear Marnie

Thank you for sharing your experience on Care Opinion.

You have raised a number of important issues and we would welcome the opportunity to investigate these in more detail with you. If you are happy to do so please contact me on Pamela.mcgoldrick@ggc.scot.nhs.uk and I can advise what additional information we require.

I look forward to hearing from you

Best wishes