"Lack of seeing Cardiologist or getting results from tests"

About: University Hospital (Coventry)

(as the patient),

During the last week of Feb 2011 I kept feeling out of breath and when I took my pulse it was 100/110/120/130 at various times. In late Feb I had an appointment at the Glaucoma clinic and mentioned during my appointment I'd been experiencing a rapid heart rate ( I have a pacemaker and know my usual pulse is around 80/min)

In the afternoon I had a call from the secretary of my Glaucoma Specialist asking me to go and see my GP about the palpitations. I saw the GP the same evening and she said if my pulse went over 120 again to go to A&E so they could take an EGC and see what was wrong.

The following morning I took my pulse and it was 136/min so my husband took me to A&E where an ECG showed I was in a Sinus Tachycardia rhythm. They took bloods and requested a cardiologist come onto A&E to see me. While waiting I was told there had been several trauma patients brought in and would I be ok to wait back in the reception area. After more than 1 1/2 hours I was called back in to be told the blood tests were fine and I could go home!

I was still experiencing a rapid heart rate and when the staff put me back on the monitor this was confirmed. I was told the cardiologist had come up to A&E but said I was fine ( even though I was NOT seen by them)

I came home being toldto return if things didn't improve.

The palpitations continued and in early March I still had palpitations and also felt as if I had a brick wall on my chest so my husband took me back to A&E. I was lucky to see the same doctor from the previous week who admitted he was surprised to see me back but the monitors confirmed again a rapid heart rate so he organised for me to have a chest x-ray to check the leads of my pacemaker hadn't moved and also for me to have a 48hr Holter Monitor test done 'in the next few days'

I eventually got an appointment for the Holter Monitor but unfortunately it wasn't within a couple of days but for early April. I wore the monitor as instructed and returned it on a couple of days later and phoned Cardiology Investigation Dept on the following day to confirm it had been received--it had.

Today (mid April) I went to my GP (as arranged by her 2 weeks previously) so she could access the results and decide what action to take. No Cardiology information could be accessed via the GP/Hospital system so she had the receptionist call UHA&E who informed her my results are still outstanding and it may take 2-3 weeks to download this information.

A month after my 2nd time in A&E I am no nearer to finding out what is causing this ongoing rapid heart rate and it sounds like it will be at least another week before the results become available.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Daniel Ibeziako, Communications Manager, Communications, University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Trust

We are sorry to hear about your experience with the Trust and that your results were not back in the time that you and your GP anticipated. However without information as to your identity we cannot investigate this further. If you would like us to look into this and provide a more detailed response please could you email your details to info@uhcw.nhs.uk. We trust that the results will be back when you next visit your GP.

  • {{helpful}} of {{total()}} people think this response is helpful

Update posted by pacemaker patient (the patient)

Thank you Mr Ibeziako for the response.

Of course I didn't provide my identity on this web site. As a Web and Marketing Manager I am sure you realise how dangerous it can be to leave personal details on an open forum----this is why Patient Opinion actually ask you to register a 'nickname' to leave your comments under. If you look at other messages you'll see no one leaves their identity.