"orchid ward millbrook"

About: Millbrook Mental Health Unit

- More patient interaction with staff would be good. when staff are busy, that is understandable but when you see 4 or 5 staff (nurses and HCAs) having a chat and a hot drink in the office and laughing together, it makes us as patients wonder why they don't come to sit in communal areas and chat with us too.

- I think staff shouldn't have conversations about patients within earshot of other patients. Twice now a particular member of staff has been heard saying not very nice things about myself around other patients. Also staff can be regularly heard saying similar things about other members of staff and I don't think this is okay.

- I have never seen, heard of or know about my care plans or goal settings. I was told when I first came that a care plan would be written but I haven't ever been told anything further and I have now been here for over 4 months.

- Sometimes if you are distressed or struggling, some nurses refuse to give you PRN medication. I know it is as nurse's discretion but I do not ask for it unless I need it and sometimes being told that you cannot have it because you were fine half an hour before is frustrating because with my diagnosis, my mood can switch in seconds and not being able to access PRN can lead to incidents and an even lower mood.

+ If we have a problem on the ward, the ward manager Kirsty always has time for us and will help us sort things if there is something that can be done.

+ Community meetings every week are a good way of raising any environmental issues on the ward and any issues get sorted as quickly as possible.

+ My named nurse is really supportive and will always try to make time for me when she on shift if I am struggling or need to talk. I trust her a lot which is important to me.

+ The activity co-ordinators that come on to the ward are also incredibly supportive and will stop to have a chat or a 1:1 with you if they have time in between activities. They always try to give us things to do in the week to that we don't have to sit on the ward and get bored/frustrated everyday.

Response from Kirsty Aveyard, Ward Manager, Orchid Ward, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

Dear pictorjg77

Thankyou for taking this time to post your feedback- we do appreciate this
I am concerned about some aspects of the feedback that I would like to explore further

if you feel able to come and talk to me about this you can do so in complete confidence this would be anonymous to others and would only be used to look into your concerns and help address them

I am pleased to read you feel I am approachable and have time for you as that is my ultimate goal in my role despite how busy the ward can be
you can also message me on my email kirsty.aveyard@nottshc.nhs.uk

I will however ensure the points raised are used for staff learning from feedback about your experience both good and bad

with kind regards, Kirsty

Response from Sally Redgate, Acute Service Manager (North), Millbrook Mental Health Unit, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear pictorjg77

I would like to echo Kirsty's comments, if you would like to discuss further with us your experience on Orchid Ward please do not hesitate to contact me or Kirsty.

It is so important that we are constantly reviewing and improving our services and care provided to patients and I am aware that Kirsty and the ward have already taken steps to learn from your comments and improve the issues you have raised.

I wish you well in your recovery