"Sent home from A+E but my son is still unwell"

About: Great Yarmouth and Waveney PCT / Emergency GP out of hours service James Paget University Hospital / Accident and emergency

(as a relative),

My 5 month baby boy was suffering from a really bad funny belly going to the toilet every 30mins or so after this had gone on for a day he went off his food and would not drink water or other fluids. He was getting more and more sleepy and had a temp of 38.7 so I decided to phone the out of hour doctors who told me a doctor would call me back in the next hour. After I sat a home for 2 hours I phoned them back and was told someone would call me in the next 10mins, once again I told them he was a 5 months old baby. After another hour nothing so I phoned for the last time and told them I was going to A and E.

Once I got there we waited 10 mins and a boy with a sore leg who then went into the play room to go on the toy car who came in after us was seen first.

I was angry my partner went to complain and we were then told that a bed would be free in another 10 mins so we waited my boy burning up in the meantime. We sat for another hour when that doctor and the little boy came out he was fine (which was good). The doctor turned to me and gave me the dirtiest look, I was stunned.

After waiting another 2 hours we were finally seen. We were seen by a doctor I could not understand. The doctor did not examine my boy at all, the only thing they did was touch his head. We were told that he was dehydrated and to take this liquid, which I informed him he would not drink. We were told to give it to him here to see if he would take it but a nurse came in telling us that we were to take it home and that was it. So dealing with the NHS for over 6 hours nothing! 3 days later my boy still is going to the toilet every 45mins or so, so I will be going back on Monday! After this experience I am left feeling that our medical system is a disgrace and a joke.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››