"I had a colonoscopy as a result of the..."

About: The North East NHS Surgery Centre

I had a colonoscopy as a result of the national screening programme for bowel cancer and I would recommend all over 60s to participate in the programme. The result showed a cancerous polyp which was removed but as a precaution I was advised to have that part of the bowel removed.

I was admitted for bowel surgery and this was the first time of being admitted to a hospital in my 63 years. The pre admission information was spot on; my family was party to all the process. At each step I felt in control and well informed of all options and possibilities.

I was in the centre for 6 days and I unreservedly commend all staff for the care and support that I received and I mean all staff, including consultant and domestics. I do not have enough skil to fully articulate how professional and caring they all were.

The accommodation is first class single ensuite rooms. Wonderful!

Following discharge (with an all clear result) I was offered ongoing support and advice.

What could be improved

One thing; a booklet said that a family member could accompany the patient to the pre operating theatre stage and that was not possible.

Parking can be horrendous for all concerned!

That apart, there is nothing I could comment upon.

Anything else?

Teamwork and shared knowledge is essential to any organisation and the people that looked after me displayed that comprehensively.