"Emergency Cesaerian"

About: Royal Free Hospital / Maternity

I gave birth to my daughter in Royal Free however, due to complications CS was performed. Doctors were brilliant. My child was saved but afterwards I was left in a pool of blood, paralysed, my child crying away from me and I couldn't reach her. Call bell away. I was scared and started crying myself. CS was done at 10pm and I was left in a room on my own. Only once a Midwife popped in - looked at me and the crying baby, did not introduce themselves, looked at the monitor from the distance and left. I had no water, nothing. Had no idea what is going to happen to me in a semi dark room was just scary. My phone was in my bag - I couldn't reach it.... after 3pm a Midwife from another bay or side passed the baby to me.

Next time I'd rather give birth in a different hospital. Only for the sake of great doctors I did not make a complaint. I encouraged all my friends, family and patients as I am a Nurse myself not to come anywhere close to Royal Free Maternity Unit. I believe doctors are equally good in other places - it is midwives who make the experience positive or traumatic for you... and I have trauma for life...

Response from Royal Free Hospital

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking time to leave what must have been difficult feedback to write given your experience.

I see from the time you were in hospital it must be near your daughter's second birthday; I hope she is excited by day.

It is always hard as a member of staff to read when the care we give falls below the standard we expect, and I am sorry for the care you describe.

I understand why you felt scared and upset; I would like to offer you the opportunity to meet with a Consultant Midwife to explain your experience and impact it has had on you.

If you would like to meet with a senior member of staff please email me at richardchester@nhs.net alternatively you can send me further information that will allow me to take it up with the midwifery team.

Kind Regards