"Thank you all so much and know that your job is really appreciated!"

About: York Hospital / Maternity

(as the patient),

Just over 3 weeks after giving birth to my son ( which has been covered in another story), I started to feel flu like symptoms and pain in my breast. I was pretty sure it was mastitis but decided to ring the contact number ( available up to 28 days after a birth)I was given on my discharge just to make sure everything was fine. I didn't want to bother anyone as I know how busy maternity unit is but very nice midwife on Triage ward told me it was better to be safe than sorry and due to my high temperature suggested to come to the hospital or after hours GP to be checked up.

After arriving to Triage midwife came to say hello to us and told us she will be with us shortly. It was late so she was alone on a night shift. We could also see that it was pretty busy and phone was ringing a lot but she has been very friendly and informative and we felt looked after. We were told to make ourselves comfortable and were shown a bed where I could lie down while waiting. After checking my vitals etc. Midwife was quite concerned about my temperature and rung for the doctor to check me up. Unfortunately all doctors were busy at labour ward and after a while as still no doctor was available it has been decided to admit me to the ward. I was quite concerned that the baby won't be able to stay with me but fortunatelly I ended up in a familiar G2 ward where I could be with my husband and baby. Before handing us over to the ward midwife from Triage explained to me what was going to happen and had a nice conversation with us.

On G2 ward we were given a separate room with a chair for my husband and crib for the baby. The two midwives we have seen were the same we remembered from my first stay. We didn't expect to be recognised after over 3 weeks but one lovely mw- Frankie said she remembered our faces and the other one- Christine also recaled helping me with breastfeeding after the birth, which I'll be always grateful for. Both midwives were great and came to chat with us giving us loads of helpful advise regarding the baby, brestfeeding and any other concerns we might have had. We still had to wait for the doctor but midwives looked after us so well in the mean time and even shared their personal sandwich with my hungry husband when all shops were shut.

Around 12 at night the young, friendly doctor came and checked me up. She was pretty sure that it was mastitis but my husband noticed some blod spots on the side of my leg. She said sometimes these could be a sign of meningitis or septicemia so instead of waiting for the blood results I was given a high spectrum antibiotics through IV. While having venflon put in my wrist and blood taken for testing I felt quite sick and shaky but the doctor was very nice and patient so I managed to survive without fainting.

During the night Frankie was checking up on us changing my antibiotics on IV and making sure we were fine. In the morning the other midwife- Sue took over and looked after us through the day. I was hoping to be able to go home but I had to have antibiotics in IV for at least 24 hours so had to stay another night. Sue tried to find a more confortable chair for my husband which was very appreciated.

In the evening we were very lucky to be under the care of midwife Christine. This woman is an angel. She was so so great with both us and our baby both times we were at the hospital. As I mentioned before thanks to her I was able to establish breastfeeding. She also calmed our windy baby with no problem at all while we were struggling and took him away for a few minutes to give us some time to catch the breath. All her injections, blood taking and other procedures are painless, she is very delicate and always have a smile and a good word for her patients.

In the morning shift changed and during the day I have been under the care of midwives Rachel and Naomi. Again both were very kind and caring. I have also been seen by the doctor who said my antibiotics will be switched from IV to pills but she wanted me to stay another 24 hours just to make sure I would be ok. This was quite sad as we had guests at home and they were leaving the next day. The doctor promised to check on me again in the evening and after doing so she said I could be discharged.

Even tough staying in the hospital is never nice I must say that all personel of G2 ward was amazing and they made my stay as pleasant and comfortable as it could be. Starting on cleaning ladies who were always very considerate and quiet making sure our babies stay asleep, helping staff who was always happy to help with any issue, midwives who are so so caring and always have a good word and smile even though they do such a hard work and doctors who are very often busy but still find time to talk to the patients and check up on us. Thank you all so much and know that your job is really appreciated!


Response from Hester Rowell, Lead for Patient Experience, York Teaching Hospital NHS foundation Trust

Dear MoW

Thank you very much for taking the time to share this feedback with us. We will make sure that all those who you name receive a copy of your kind words. Congratulations on the birth of your son, and we hope that you are now recovered from the problems that meant you needed our hospital care.

With very best wishes

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful

Recently read