"More care for the elderly and vulnerable required"

About: Lincoln County Hospital

My father had to attend A and E due to a fall resulting in a head injury.

Upon collecting him I was surprised that he had not been able to get any food.

He is over 81 and an insulin dependent diabetic and had not eaten since breakfast until I collected him at 530pm due to a lunchtime fall. Due to the fall he was not able to take his walker with him.

I am surprised that nobody was able to help him get food and he was told that it was not a service that they provided.

When I collected him his words were slurred.

I'm not expecting him to be given a three course meal but due to his health problems and mobility issues I am sure someone could have got him a sandwich.

He had money on him but was too unsteady to walk unassisted.

If he had fallen into a hypo, he may have been admitted!

He was happy with his treatment but I feel that not helping a vulnerable person to get something to eat is unacceptable in 2017!

Response from Karen Hansord, Senior Sister, Accident and Emergency, United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

I am sorry that you have had cause to complain regarding your father’s visit to A&E. We do keep a stock of sandwiches which we can provide for patients and I apologise that they were not provided for your father as he specifically asked.

I would like to investigate this with the staff on duty and would be pleased if you could let me know your father’s name and the date he attended. To maintain your anonymity could you please send this to PALS@ulh.nhs.uk. rather than posting it to the website. It would be helpful if you would quote reference CO394141 when e-mailing us.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Karen Hansord – A&E Sister