"Mat Base"

About: Liverpool Womens Hospital / Maternity care

Upon staying in the mat base ward I was shocked to find the bed next to me still with 2 visitors at bedside at 11pm, one of these visitors was a man whom I had the indignity of being forced to walk past each time I needed to go to the bathroom to change from being visibly soaked with amniotic fluid. There seemed to be no quiet time, with patients not being discouraged from watching tv with no headphones or making loud mobile phone calls etc at 11pm. I also had to wait at least 20mins for someone to answer my call bell as my bed was soaked with amniotic fluid. The curtains around my bed were dirty, there were food crumbs from previous patient on windowsill and blood stains on the wall.

Response from Liverpool Women's NHS Foundation Trust

I am sorry that your experience on Maternity Base was disappointing. We strive to ensure that the environment is clean and comfortable for your stay and it is concerning if this was not the case. We are now taking steps to review and address the issues you raised in your story.

If you wish to discuss your concerns with the Matron for Maternity Base, I would ask that you contact us directly so we can discuss your specific case in more detail.

To do this, please contact or Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) team on 0151 702 4353 or via email on PALS@lwh.nhs.uk who will arrange this for you.

Regards