"Happy with hospital care, not so happy with mental health care"

About: Rotherham Hospital Rotherham, Doncaster and South Humber NHS Foundation Trust / Adult mental health

(as a service user),

On the general side, I can't fault the care I've received in Rotherham at Rotherham District General Hospital. They're great, they treat me with courtesy and respect.

Unfortunately, the psychiatry department and community mental health team are not so good in my opinion. It feels like they don't listen to me at all. I wanted to change worker but I have been told I'm not eligable for this. In the past, they had CPNS. Now all of a sudden, I have a social worker who doesn't understand medication etc. They feel that my meds are under control but they're not and it doesn't feel like they understand the seriousness of my illness. They keep saying, 'Go to see your GP' but as brilliant as he is, he can't provide the kind of mental health care I need and can only really refer me.

I don't feel like I'm getting what I need. There are not enough CPNS and the social work team won't allow me to go private.

I have used the complaints system, PALS, but I feel like they're on the trust's side and I don't get any further with them.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Nick Arkle, Patient Engagement/ Psychosocial Interventions Lead, Rotherham Doncaster and South Humber NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Sky950,

Thank you for taking the time to make this posting, we welcome feedback about the services the Trust provides.

I am sorry to see that your opinion of mental health services is that they are not so good.

I am also sorry to hear that you have not found PALS or the Complaint process helpful. The Patient Experience Team would welcome any suggestions you may have to improve services, and can be contacted through PALS:


0800 015 4334


St Catherine's House

Tickhill Road




If you have had a response following a complaint and you wish to discuss it further, please contact Elaine Pearce, Complaints Manager, on 01302 796305. Following this, if you remain dissatisfied, you have a right of appeal by writing to the office of the Parliamentaryand Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO), Millbank Tower, Millbank, London, SW1P 4QP. The PHSO, however, would expect that the Trust has had the opportunity to have exhausted all processes possible, as part of the local resolution section of the complaints procedure, before your complaint is referred to them for further consideration.

For further information/guidance about the process available, please do not hesitate to contact Mrs Pearce.

Best Wishes,


  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful

Response from Nick Arkle, Patient Engagement/ Psychosocial Interventions Lead, Rotherham Doncaster and South Humber NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Glacier Sky950,

Every service user has the right to request a change of Care Co-ordinator or to make a complaint about the service they are receiving if they feel that it is not meeting their needs.

I would advise you to contact the team manager or service manager to discuss your concerns to try to find a resolution.

If you do not find that this helps I would advise you to consider making a complaint.

Yours Faithfully,

Steve Parker

Deputy Assistant Director-Adult Community Services

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful