"The paperwork I received prior to Colonoscopy"
About: Hairmyres Hospital / Day Surgery Hairmyres Hospital Day Surgery G75 8RG
Posted by Sima4 (as ),
“Colonoscopy – The Procedure Explained (Moviprep)” is the document I received to tell me what to do and how to take Moviprep.
1) On the front of this document it says “As you will be having sedation ……”. I knew I did not want sedation. I have had the procedure before and knew I didn’t require sedation. In South Yorkshire I was told beforehand that I could have sedation, gas & air or nothing. In South Lanarkshire I was not told I had any choice. When I got to the Day Surgery at Hairmyres I was told other people had also not had sedation and it wasn’t a problem. So I got to the hospital feeling unnecessarily concerned in case there was a problem about not having sedation.
2) On page 8 there is a list of foods approved on the low fibre diet. Eggs are not mentioned. While I appreciate they can’t list everything, eggs are a very basic foodstuff and I would have expected them to be listed.
3) On page 8 there is no mention of milk, except it says “tea and coffee without milk”. It says it’s OK to eat cornflakes, which I would have thought people would eat with milk, so I still don’t know if milk is “to be avoided” or not. I would have expected that, as another staple food, it would be specifically listed.
I actually use soya milk. I assumed it isn’t OK but, as more and more people are using that, it would be helpful for the document to state which types of milk, if any, are “Allowed”.
4) On page 9 I followed the instructions for preparing for a morning appointment, ie both doses of Moviprep. It says in bold “It is important to drink an additional 500ml of water or clear fluids during the evening”. However, on page 10 it says “you should also drink 500ml of water ….. with each litre of Moviprep taken. ” This is contradictory. Nb The instructions for someone taking the doses at different times look to be correct.
5) The only phone number on the paperwork I received was for Patient Focussed Booking in Wishaw. There was no number for Hairmyres. This became a concern when I realised that due to the snow I might be late for my appointment. It might be useful to add a number for the Day Surgery for use on the day.
As so much effort has gone in to preparing this document, it seems a pity that there are some errors and omissions. I hope my comments are useful.
I had my procedure today and found the staff very helpful and friendly. The procedure went very easily and everyone made sure I was comfortable and knew what was happening at all times.