"I feel like no one is listening in Cumbria"

About: Cumbria Partnership NHS Foundation Trust / Inpatient mental health care

(as a carer),

My partner has been failed by mental health services since 2007 when he tried to kill himself.

I tried to get him assessed as Bi-Polar several weeks ago when he was becoming increasingly manic and psychotic, but no one was interested, including the Crisis Team who told me after a four hour desperate wait in A & E that I was "catastrophising" the situation, that my partner was probably just a bit "over tired" and that there was no link between alcoholism and Bi-Polar disorder.

They said they would set up an appointment to see a psychiatrist for assessment. The appointment letter arrived the day my partner was sectioned just over a week (of utter hell, destruction and terror) later.

They tried to discharge him without a proper care plan or any local services being involved, after letting him out on a home visit with no warning to me and without the proper medication.

I am on my own with no support. Now I feel like killing myself too.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from

Please, if you feel you require urgent help or support out of hours (evenings and weekends), call our 24/7 helpline Cumbria Partnership Direct on 0800 171 2333, or the out-of-hours GP service, Cumbria Health on Call on 01228 401999 (North Cumbria) or 0845 0524 999 (South Cumbria). We are very sorry to hear that you do not feel you and your husband have received satisfactory care. Any issues or concerns about your husband’s care plan should be discussed with his Care Co-ordinator to ensure that support is available when it is required. If you continue to be unhappy with the response from the Crisis Service, speak to the Team Lead directly and they will ensure that you and your husband are supported appropriately. Our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) can work with you to try and resolve any issues and concerns that you may have about any aspect of NHS services. PALS work with senior managers and clinicians to mobilise support and will be able to help you get the answers you need, as well as ensure your husband gets appropriate care. If you wish to make a formal complaint, PALS can also assist you with this. You can call PALS on 0800 633 5547. In addition, as a carer, Making space will be able to assist you should you feel you need additional support. Joanna Forster-Adams Deputy Director of Operations
  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful